WHAT IS AGRITOURISM?
Agritourism is a growing international sustainable tourism experience. It is any tourist activity happening on a farm and linked to the farm’s activities and attractions. This can include agricultural activities such as milking cows at the dairy, shearing wool, harvesting crops, culling herds, using agricultural implements, tasting and buying farm produce. Using the farm’s resources for game viewing, birding, biking, hiking, fishing are all part of Agritourism. Boarding and lodging on the farm is a bonus but not a necessity.
An Agritourism farm must be a working farm. It offers farmers the opportunity to earn additional revenue with existing resources.
WHY CONSIDER SUSTAINABLE AGRITOURISM IN RURAL AREAS IN AFRICA?
- To provide additional income streams to rural communities, villages, and farmers.
- To encourage efficient use of underutilized recourses.
- To preserve farmlands and to encourage the preservation of natural conservation areas.
- To share our agricultural heritage and rural lifestyle with visitors from cities.
- To encourage families to remain farming.
- To encourage city dwellers to play an active role in rural community activities.
- To promote interest in agricultural actives amongst the youth.
- To show where your food comes from.
- To maintain the agricultural infrastructure.
- To showcase good farming practices and develop our food security.
- To provide income streams that are less dependent on the climatic and risk factors of farming.
- To encourage the exchange of friendship, ideas, and knowledge between city and country people.
- To attract further investment into rural areas and increase the value of our agricultural assets.
WHO IS AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
Agritourism Africa is the link between interested tourists and all the role players in Agritourism. It serves as an information hub highlighting tourism experiences on farms across Africa, allowing local and international tourists to incorporate visits to these farms as part of their travel plans.
Agritourism Africa provides advice and guidance to it’s members, assists members with marketing and promotions, and represents Agritourism at governmental, tourism and organized agricultural institutions.
This is not a booking portal; our core focus is on farmers, farming and combining this with tourism.
This is the only Agritourism Association in Africa, building a strong and recognizable brand that stands for integrity.
WHO CAN JOIN AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
Membership of Agritourism Africa is open to anyone with an interest in Agritourism. Any farmer or service provider who has a working farm that is tourism friendly. This includes:
- Tour Operators
- Tour Guides
- Agricultural service providers
- Any private sector or industry body or individual institution with an interest and mandate to support development of Agritourism in South Africa and Africa.
Annual membership fees are applicable.